About Voice of Vashon
KVSH 101.9FM – A to I
KVSH 101.9FM – J to Z
TIPS FOR WINTER STORMS AND COLD WEATHER PREPARATION
January 12th, 2020 - Posted in Alerts
Cold Weather Tips This is information & tips from King County Emergency News. Vashon Island may experience slightly different weather conditions depending on the movement of the storm track:
Cold, wintry weather is in our forecast for next week, with the potential for snow and ice. Here’s the latest update from the National Weather Service – Seattle.
Emergency workers are already preparing – and you can, too! Steps you can take to be ready:
* Visit Take Winter By Storm for tips and checklists.
* Wear multiple layers of clothing, a hat, gloves and appropriate footwear to stay warm – even if you’re just running a quick errand. Limit your exposure to freezing temperatures.
* Fill your vehicle’s gas tank and make sure you stock your trunk with blankets, warm clothing, boots, a flashlight and batteries, emergency flares and other emergency supplies. See Take Winter by Storm’s checklist .
* Plan your commute. Allow plenty of time to reach your destination and anticipate travel delays. Be cautious of icy road conditions and slow down.
* Know the snow policies for your office, school, and day care.
* Check on neighbors who may need assistance.
* Bring pets indoors, if possible, and make sure they have access to shelter and drinking water.
* Protect your home. Insulate exposed pipes in your attic and crawlspace, wrap outdoor faucets and disconnect garden hoses to keep them from freezing.
* Keep portable heaters away from furniture, draperies and other flammable materials.
* If you live or work in a landslide risk area, watch for signs of land movement, such as ground cracking or bulging, debris flows, or progressively tilting trees or patterns of stormwater drainage and places where runoff converges. Report concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org or 206-477-8100.
* Bookmark this page, kcemergency.com , for news about regional impacts and updates.
* Monitor the latest weather forecasts from the National Weather Service – Vashon.
Resources for travelers
* Sign up for Metro Transit Alerts .
* Sign up for King County Road Alerts .
* Sign up for King County Water Taxi Alerts. * Visit the King County My Commute page. * Visit the Eye on Your Metro Commute blog. This message was posted at 09:30 on Sunday and will be updated as needed.